10 Fantastic & Free Things to Do in Wilmington
When payday is a distant vision but the wallet is already thin, it’s time to try out some free activities. Luckily there are lots of fun free things to do in Wilmington, NC…and who doesn’t love FREE?
Enjoy Wilmington’s Green Spaces & Trails
With Wilmington’s mild weather you can enjoy the outdoors year round. But in the pretty spring weather, it’s just plain wrong to stay inside. Try these free outdoor activities:
- Free Parks: Of course the beach is free, and there’s free parking at Topsail and Kure Beaches. And New Hanover County has 25 parks with playgrounds, trails, tennis and basketball courts, and even boating and fishing. Take your dogs to the dog parks at Empie and Hugh MacRrae. Or try one of the nature and science programs at Halyburton Park.
- Free Ride: There are new trails and bike lanes being designated all the time in the Port City. Get some exercise and an urban/wooded tour alone or with a cycling group. It’s free!
- Historic Stroll 1: Oakdale Cemetery is a historic and lovely wooded walk right on 15th Street in Wilmington. Oaks, magnolias, and azaleas line the lanes and there’s a map at the entrance.
- Historic Stroll 2: Take a walk in historic downtown Wilmington. Wander along the Riverwalk and enjoy window shopping or a bite; you can even pack a picnic and eat on a bench along the water. If you can spring for $4, take a self-guided walking tour provided by a phone app. Don’t miss the Saturday morning farmers market.
- Step Back in Time: Poplar Grove is an antebellum peanut plantation that once again boasts livestock, outbuildings, and wooded walking trails. Tours of the house are $12 but everything outdoors is free, and you can bring your lunch. On Wednesday mornings there’s a farmers market.
Take the Kids Someplace Fun for Free
- Love the Library: It’s more than free books! The New Hanover County Public Library offers programs, films, and kids’ activities like story hour, toddler art, and even plays. Once you’re there, check out the adult programs too.
- Movie at the Lake: Bring your beach chairs and the family for a free movie every Sunday night May 29 through September 4, 2016. Snacks and drinks are available, or bring a cooler for this free event.
- Country Attractions Day: The first Sunday of every month is free day at New Hanover County attractions. Walk Airlie Gardens or the Arboretum or visit the Cape Fear Museum. Other attractions have free days that vary, so check the list and be a tourist in your hometown!
Sample the Wares Out and About
- Designated Driver Alert: Beer and wine tastings abound in Wilmington, and most of them are free!
- Free Concerts: Downtown Sundown happens every Friday evening all summer. Head down to the river after work and join the party. A new concert series, the Monkey Junction Summer Concert Series, runs May 27 through Sept. 2 at the Home Depot parking lot in Monkey Junction.
If you’re moving to Wilmington, NC, enjoy these free activities! And remember to call Few Moves Moving Company at (910) 512-6999 for all your moving needs.