Moving your home or business can be a really exciting time but it can also be stressful. After all, how often does one move a significant percentage of their belongings? It’s not something to take lightly. Let’s take a look at how to choose a moving company.
A quality moving company makes your move easier in numerous ways. They have the professionals and resources to move your things efficiently and safely.
The trick is to figure out which moving companies you can trust your valuables to and which are going to take you on a ride.
First things first. You need to find out if you’re dealing with a legitimate company.
In the moving business, we see people all the time who want to make a quick buck by being a low-cost moving service. You’ll recognize this as a group of college kids with a rented truck, or that post on Craigslist that seems a little too good to be true.
Are you licensed?
The easiest way to separate the pros from the amateurs is to ask:
- Is your moving company licensed?
All moving companies operating in North Carolina are regulated by the North Carolina Utilities Commission. They put out a PDF that lists all of the moving companies that are legally allowed to operate in the state. You can get your own copy here. And you’ll find us, Few Moves LLC, on page 3.
You also want to know who is going to be moving your belongings. Will it be a trained professional or somebody totally wet behind the ears? Ask,
- Do you use temporary workers or day laborers?
- Are your workers subject to background checks?
- What kind of training has your staff received?
A company that does background checks and puts their staff through a training program is less likely to use temporary workers. They are more likely to be trustworthy around your belongings and to take their job seriously.
Do you have insurance?
You will also want to be sure that your goods are protected in the event of damage. Be sure to ask:
- Are you insured?
- By whom?
- What does your insurance cover?
- What steps do I need to go through to submit a claim in the event something goes wrong?
A reputable moving company should take the time to explain their insurance coverage, how it protects you, and how you can file a claim, if the need arises. The harder it is to get these answers, the harder it will be to use the insurance when it’s needed.
Are there any hidden fees?
When it comes to comparing costs, it’s important to compare apples to apples. We see misleading quotes in our industry all the time. Minimum charges, truck rental fees, over-sized items fees, travel time fees, fuel surcharges, and more can significantly inflate the final price you pay and can be quite an unwelcome surprise.
To understand all of the charges you’ll have to pay for, be sure to ask:
- How does your company charge? By the piece or by the hour?
- What is your minimum charge? When billing by the hour, do you bill in 5 or 15 minute increments?
- Are there any extra fees for over-sized items like pianos, large TVs, or for moving things up several flights of steps?
- Do I start paying you when you leave the office or when you show up at my house?
- Do you charge extra for moves in the evenings or on the weekends?
- If moving out of the immediate area, are there any travel fees or fuel surcharges for leaving town?
- Are there any other hidden fees that I don’t know about?
According to the North Carolina Utilities Commission, moves that are 35 miles and less are charged an hourly rate. Moves over 35 miles are charged based on the weight of the shipment and the miles between origin and destination.
But hey, it never hurts to ask.
Do you require a deposit?
Finally, learn about the details of the move.
- Will you provide me with a free estimate?
- Will you conduct a free on-site estimate?
- Is there a cancellation policy?
- Who can I call if something goes wrong?
Reputable companies will happily provide you will all of this information. If you get short, dismissive, or cranky answers, look elsewhere.
At Few Moves Moving Company, we’d love to talk to you about your moving needs. We’re licensed (on page 3!), insured, and have a great staff of highly trained professional movers. We’re so proud of our guys, we’ve put all of them on the website. That way, you know exactly who is showing up at your doorstep.
We also have the most fair rates in the business. No hidden fees!
Call us and tell us about your move at (910) 512-6999 or request your free estimate!