We all need to reduce our carbon footprint. So as you prepare to move to your new home, think about ways to stay green. And if you need help packing, moving or unpacking, be sure to give Few Moves Moving Company a call. We’d love to help make your move greener, whether it’s just up the street or across the country.
The trick, as always, is to reduce, reuse, and recycle.
Here are a “few” tips to get you started on making your move greener.
Reduce Your Belongings for a Greener Move
- It’s easy to let all that stuff accumulate, tucked away in the back of a drawer or closet: Fabric for projects that never got off the ground, clothes that never really fit right, mementos from old friends that don’t fit your lifestyle. The good news is, moving is the best time to clear out all this stuff.
Marie Kondo’s advice is to look at each object and ask, “Does this spark joy?” if not, get rid of it: call the Goodwill, have a yard sale, or make a bunch of Craigslist posts. And presto, your junk disappears!
Related Articles: 4 Practical Ways to Get Rid of Unwanted Stuff
- Reduce the number of runs between the new and old house. A good moving company like Few Moves will size your truck according to your needs. For a greener move, plan your own driving to use less fuel.
Repurpose Objects for a Green Move
- How many things can you use for two purposes? Cut up old clothes to make cleaning rags. Don’t buy a blender AND a food processor—make do with one or the other.
- An alternative to buying disposable packing materials, it’s greener to pack your dishes and breakable objects with clothes, bedding, tablecloths, and towels.
- Get recyclable plastic bins as a substitute for some boxes. These can easily stack in a closet when you’re finished moving and you’ll use them again and again for non-moving purposes.
Recycle Moving Items to Make Moving Greener
- Save your bubble wrap, boxes and envelopes before you move. Recycling these packing items will save money, and you’ll save some cardboard from a landfill.
- Recycle cardboard boxes after your green move. Find a friend or fellow mover to give them to, or post them on Craigslist. If all else fails, put them in the recycling –not the trash.
- Find out the recycling rules at your new home—and use them. And if you have a little yard, start composting.
Keep Your New Home Green
- Use green cleaning products to clean your new home and your old home after you move.
- Replace incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescents or LEDs.
- Stop air leaks around windows and doors with caulk or weatherstripping.
- Unplug appliances and electronics when not in use. You can set up power strips that make turning these off a breeze.
At Few Moves we try to make your move as easy, safe, and green as possible. So call Few Moves Moving Company at (919) 999-6201 in Raleigh or (910) 512-6999 in Wilmington to find out what great moving services we offer. Or request an online quote to find out more today!