Even if we’d rather be curled up on the sofa in front of a warm fire, some of us will have to move this winter. If that means you, take a little extra time to protect yourself, your home, and your belongings during your winter move. And be kind to pets, too!
To help you get started, here are a few tips for keeping safe during your winter move.
Protect Your Home During your Winter Move
Depending on where you live, you may have to contend with winter rain, mud, or snow during your winter move. Clear as much debris and precipitation as you can from your walkways so it won’t be tracked in. If you have to salt the walkways, do it early and then sweep the salt away. Protect floors with non-skid covers and mats.
Few Moves Moving Company always takes care to protect your home during moving, especially in winter. We use floor runners and door protectors to make sure your house isn’t damaged during winter moving.
See Related: How to Prepare Your Wilmington Home for Winter
There are two extra considerations when packing for your winter move:
- Cold and moisture: Your belongings will be subject to temperature fluctuations during your winter move. Insulate expensive electronics to prevent condensation. Glass and plastic can also suffer in cold weather, so wrap these extra well.
- Breakage: The chances of a mishap are increased in bad weather, so wrap fragile items carefully- a bit of extra bubble wrap or newspaper can make all the difference.
Few Moves Moving Company can pack these items for you to be on the safe side, and we always use clean furniture padding and clean moving blankets to avoid bumps and scratches on your furniture.
Take Extra Care of Yourself During your Winter Move
Safety should be your first priority on moving day, especially during a winter move.
- Clear a path to the house so movers and you have plenty of room to walk safely without navigating ice, snow, wet leaves, and other slippery winter hazards.
- Schedule your move during daylight hours, remembering winter’s short days.
- Slow down in rain or snow, just as if you were driving in bad weather. Plan for your safe winter move to take a little longer than if the weather were pleasant.
- Wear layers to keep warm or cool off, and wear non-slip shoes or boots.
Keep an Eye on Pets on Winter Moving Day, Too
Our furry friends need extra love on a cold day, too. Be sure pets are in a warm place to keep safe and comfortable during your winter move.
Few Moves Moving Company understands the difficulties of a winter move and we’re ready with the right equipment and staff to make your winter move as safe as possible. We’re fully licensed and insured to ensure your safety. Call Few Moves Moving Company in Raleigh at (919) 999-6201 or Wilmington, NC at (919) 999-6201 to discuss your winter moving needs.